Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wasp Nest

and babies! Brent was heading out onto the back porch to grill yesterda and was popped a couple of times by a wasp. Shortly afterward, he got his revenge. And of course I couldn't resist getting a few macros of the nest before Brent took care of the would be wasps too. Wasp babies look just as mean and ugly in infancy as in adulthood. I did a little reading (cause I'm cool like that) and these are paper wasps (I think) because their nests look like paper, made out of wood scrapings from trees, decks, you name it. Their nests have all stages of baby wasps in them at any one time. You can see in this one that there are eggs, larvae, and cocoons. The adult wasps come to the nest and feed the larvae. The larvae make their little cocoon bubble and I guess they hatch out of that...They start with about 25 eggs in a nest, so this nest is relatively new and still pretty small. The larvae that you can see are really gross. They are gyrating around in their little cubicles. They just look evil. Of all of the bees, these are my least favorite. Well, these and maybe hornets too. Here is the backlit nest: Wasp Nest and Babies And the eggs all neatly lined up in a row: Wasp Nest and Babies And a little closer: Wasp Nest and Babies
The larvae:
Wasp Nest and Babies
Ugly little things:  Wasp Nest and BabiesThe cocoons:
  Wasp Nest and Babies 
And there you have it. A wasp nest. I plan on adding a few posts from the past few weeks in the next few days since I'm so far behind. To think this is the longest I've gone without posting in the past 2.5 years!

8 comments:

Carrie June 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM  

WOW! Great shots, but a little creepy. Makes me shiver and say eek!

Tracy June 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM  

Awesome captures!!! I've missed your posts ;) WElcome back!

Barb June 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM  

Love all of these photos!

Yvette June 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM  

These are incredible macro shots! You make that nest look so awesome! But agreed .. they are som ugly little dudes in there!

Courtney June 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM  

Wow!! Those macro shots are SO COOL super creepy but cool!!

whippetmom June 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM  

Oh gag. I hope you sprayed/stomped/burned it after taking pictures. I can't stand wasps and yuck, super ugly babies too!

whippetmom June 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM  

Oh haha I went back to read the words, I missed that Brent took care of them! Yay!

JoAnne June 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM  

I love this! Very educational yet creepy.

Post a Comment

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP