Saturday, June 25, 2011

176/365

Rest in peace Herschie Rose Christian-Flickinger. November 18, 2000 to June 25, 2011. Herschie was one of a kind, and if nothing else, she could be described as colorful and full of personality. I love you big girl. I hope you are chasing bumble bees and saving us from lizards somewhere sunny and beautiful.

So, for the 365 post, here is Herschie's couch. This is where she spent a lot of her time in this house. And for the remainder of this post, I wanted to put up a few pictures that remind me of who she was in our younger days together before Ben and Delia and Brayden, before Ben and Delia, before Ben. These are the days when I remember Herschie the happiest and most vibrant, and when she was the princess of the castle.

Here are a few recent ones:

176/365

20110409_Hersch and Sannie_0047_web

20100714_Herschie Rose Starirs_0011_web

20100714_Herschie Rose Starirs_0006_web

And a few from the old days...unfortunately, Herschie as a puppy predates the digital camera. She sure was a cute little bully.
IMG_0067_web

IMG_0063_web

IMG_0014_web

IMG_0192_web

IMG_0182_web

IMG_0160_web

IMG_0238_web

IMG_0039_web

And a few of favorite memories...or at least funnies... :)
Herschie once locked me out of my car on the side of the interstate (cell phone locked inside too) only a few minutes later to jump around and roll down the window for me. Talk about being freaked out for a few minutes....and I'm sure she was laughing inside the whole time.

Brent wasn't too thrilled at the time, but she peed on his pillow once because she was so mad at him and was being spiteful. She thought she was going somewhere because he put her kennel in the car (I told him to, so she should have peed on my pillow, heeehee). When we didn't go anywhere (we were leaving in the morning) she peed on his pillow. At the time we were in a rental awaiting our house to be completed and had only ONE set of sheets out of storage. So it was past midnight that night getting the sheets clean.

"Wooo, Wooo!" That is all I had to say to get Herschie to run figure 8's under the dining room table, through my legs, and back around the coffee table.

She was really OCD. And you had to wait for her to get through her OCD tendencies before she would go outside to potty.

She used to sleep under the covers with us, not recently, but back in the day. She would be in and out, in and out. She loved being under the covers and most of the time would end up panting under them shaking the whole bed.

And most people wondered how on earth we could sleep with bulldogs in our room. They snore and make lots of noises. Herschie made the sweetest little breathing noises when she was sleeping. Sound like a sweet "Hmmmmm". I'm going to miss those subtle little sounds that always remind me she is near.

Herschie was after all a bulldog. They are known for their smells. Even Herschie didn't like the way her toots smelled. She would toot and walk away...lol...Her couch is along the wall of the stairs. About 6 steps up, was a constant not so fragrant aroma if she were laying there. We could always count on that.

10 comments:

Chelsea June 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM  

Oh, Laurie, what a sweet post. I'm so sorry to hear about Herschie. I think I'll be beside myself when either of our dogs pass, but I'm glad you shared so many beautiful pictures and great memories of her. Sounds like she had a fantastic run!

grandmabish June 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

Laurie, I truely feel your loss. I'm a dog person. I HAVE to have my fur babies around me at all times. I was raised with dogs, as my parents had a Professional kennel with show dogs. I understand the human/canine connection. They are the best therapy for us, and when they are gone, (always too soon), it leaves a huge hole in our hearts. Your Herschie was beautiful, and you have posted about her several times so I feel like I sort of know her. Thank you for sharing the stories here. I hope you and your family will be comforted in the coming days, and that your happy memories of her will fill your thoughts. You certainly gave her a wonderful home, and as the dog days go...she had it all!

Amy June 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM  

Laurie, I'm so sorry :-( I love your post and photos of Herschie.

whippetmom June 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

Awww. Herschie sounds like she was such a sweet heart :) She was beautiful for sure and I love all the pictures and memories of her. That couch picture...really tugs the heartstrings! ((hugs))

Tracy June 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM  

Laurie, I am so sorry to hear about Herschie!! It is so hard to loose one of our best friends, first babies, etc...My heart aches for you as I know I am not looking forward to the day of saying good bye to our little Sophie. Sweet post! Sounds like a sweet bulldog. {hugs} Adorable photos to remember her by!

Courtney June 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM  

Oh Laurie! I'm so sorry to hear about Herschie!! I can only image how much your heart aches over her loss. There is something to be said for our first "kids". Sending you warm hugs!!!

Megan June 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM  

I'm sorry to hear about Herschie :( I have no doubt that she had a wonderful home with you and lived a full life. Hugs!

Amanda Norton June 27, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

:( Still shocked and very sorry. xoxoxo

Kristin June 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM  

There is nothing like the total devotion and love a dog...they ask for so little and give so much in return. Everyone should be so blessed to be owned and loved by such a beautiful creature. She may be gone, but her spirit lives on in you and in your children for she will always be part of you in some special way.

Valeria June 29, 2011 at 11:53 PM  

So sorry for your lost.

Post a Comment

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP