Sunday, July 11, 2010

192/365

Today we went to church. When we went to pick up Delia from the nursery we stood in the doorway watching her for a moment. She was being so sweet. She had a boat and was sharing it with a little girl and telling her what it was. I love stumbling upon sweet moments like those. When you haven't told the kids to be sweet, they are just doing on their own accord. I guess all of those sharing lectures are paying off. Delia is quite the firecracker, but she is really a sweet little girl too.

I went to the mailbox today, because I was so busy yesterday that I forgot. I love getting the mail. There is never anything too interesting in it, but nevertheless I love seeing what has come for the day. Anyway, on my way back up the driveway, I spotted a Velvet Ant. A velvet ant is actually a wasp. This is a female. After I let it crawl all over my arm, I learned that the females have quite the sting!!! Good thing I didn't make her mad! Velvet ants can also let out a little shriek if disturbed. She did shriek for me when I was catching her for the kids to see. Ben was very curious (and wanted to hold her), thank goodness I had done a little reading prior to his seeing her. I think Delia thought she was pretty cool too. This is the only picture I captured. She was very eager to get out of the container I had her in and take off. So, this is it! The Velvet Ant.

Next up, something "fun" for the kids this afternoon. Ben wants to go to the pool. And Delia always wants to do what Ben wants to do. So most likely we will go to the pool.

192/365

5 comments:

Amanda July 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

Very cool, I couldn't let it crawl all over me though haha..

whippetmom July 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

love it! I am always to scared to try and touch those!!

Tamra July 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

I am loving your macro shots! I've never seen such a red creature before - so interesting! Thanks for coming over to my blog, too, and I meant to tell you before that I found you through Shannon and CM :). Hope you don't mind me following along!

Melissa Weber July 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

Awesome capture! She has catchlights!!
I have macro envy. ;)

grandmabish July 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

I have learned something here. I've never heard of, or seen a velvet ant before. She is beautiful. Great capture!

Post a Comment

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP