Sunday, January 17, 2010

17/365

Until I photographed his mailbox, I didn't know my "little man's" name, Lewis. He was by no means a little man, but that is what I called him. He would sit on his porch during the spring, summer, and fall months and would wave to passersby as we drove down the road he lived on. We first "met" when I found a turtle in the road near his house. Ben and I were on our way somewhere and I was afraid that the turtle would be run over as it crossed the road. We turned around the car and I picked up the turtle to show to Bennie, and I then placed it on the other side of the road out of harms way, in this man's yard. When I looked up, I noticed him sitting on his porch. I had never noticed him before, but I'm sure he had always been there. From then on, I always looked for him. I don't know how many times we had driven by where he was a constant, always sitting in his white plastic lawn chair waving to his neighbors. Waving is what you do in the country, especially in the south, even to strangers. I noticed in the early fall that he wasn't there one day. And then a week passed by and he still wasn't there and his chair was missing. At first, I thought that maybe his chair was broken and he would soon return, but he never did. He probably never thought that his gesture of kindness would be missed, or even thought about it twice for that matter, but I miss it.

17/365

6 comments:

karren January 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

I appreciate your commentary... It makes the photo much more meaningful. NICE!

Sarah January 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

lovely...

Melissa January 17, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

What a sweet story.

Shannon Joy January 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

Touching story and beautiful image...

merydwen January 18, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

so sweet.. great pictures!

Courtney January 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

Such a precious story...I miss the south and all the friendly people!

Post a Comment

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP